Friday, March 27, 2009

91 yr. old female drummer - Allee Willis Presents "Hey Jerrie"

I love old people. Even in my youth, when I thought anyone over thirty was O.L.D., I had a strong sense that within each of these adorable beings was a wealth of history and information that was not to be found in any book or TV show. I loved asking my uncles about the war, listening to my grandmothers laugh about being a woman in the 1920's, and watching my Dad's face as he talked about growing up on the farm. I especially like the older folks who don't seem to know they're old. Call it a delusion, call it the Peter Pan Complex, whatever. I just love the quirky, eccentric, absolute joy of someone who knows that there's not a lot of time left, and absolutely not a thing to lose. I think I'm looking forward to it, actually. The day when I can say and do whatever I want, and everyone else will just have to say, "Oh well, she's old. You can't change her now." or "She's old - whaddaya gonna do?" I'll put on my purple pants and my red hat (but I won't join the Red Hat Society - that's for old people).

No comments:

Post a Comment