Saturday, May 23, 2009

Things That Go "Bump" in the Dark

"Rolling Around In My Head" is a wonderful blog that I read almost daily. The author, Dave, is a big guy in a wheelchair, so in that sense we have a lot in common. He has been around the disability community as an educator and advocate long before he became disabled, and in that regard has much he can teach me. Today's post, however, reminded me of an incident that happened to me several months ago. I was stunned when it happened, and every time I think about it I find myself questioning whether I could have handled it differently.

Tom had dropped me and Joe off at the theatre. We got our tickets and snacks, headed in, and settled into the specifically marked off 'handicapped' area in the last row. There is a large empty spot where I can park my chair, next to several 'regular' seats so that I can sit with my companion(s). This particular theatre is fairly well designed to accommodate, and so far I've never had a problem there. I should also mention here that I have reflective tape on several parts of my wheelchair, so that I can be seen even in a dark theatre (although usually my size alone is enough to make sure that I'm rarely overlooked). Part way through the movie, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that a man from nearer the front was making his way to the back exit. His path would take him directly behind my chair. I paid little attention, since people are often coming and going during a movie. Suddenly, I was violently jolted and immediately realized that the man had bumped into the back of my chair. He had walked directly into one of the hand grips that extend off the back...the ones completely wrapped in reflective tape. In spite of the combined weight of me and the chair, and the fact that it was locked in the 'off' position, I was actually shifted several inches to the right. He kept right on going, I wasn't too badly shaken, and I assumed that he was OK as well. End of story...or so I thought. A few minutes later, I sensed a face leaning over my shoulder from behind. I turned, and found myself looking directly into the face of the man who had run into my chair. For some completely unknown reason, I thought that he was perhaps going to apologize, or at least see if I was OK after such a jolt. Instead, I heard a growling voice say, "You damn near turned me into a soprano!" As I began to realize that my mouth was hanging open, he was gone. I totally lost the next 10 minutes of the movie, trying to figure out what had just happened. I was not moving, I was well marked, HE bumped into ME, and now he was angry at me. What's up with THAT??? To make matters worse, once the movie was over and people were filing out, I overheard part of a conversation between him and his companion. Since getting my chair, it's become my practice that when I attend a movie, I wait until nearly everyone else has left the theatre. That way, I can be sure of a clear path, and stand less of a chance of hitting anyone or running over any toes. I'm a patient person, and this works for me. However, in this case it worked against me. I heard him say "Right there in the wheelchair...yeah, that's her." I wanted desperately to have a few words with him, but the sea of people between us made it impossible. And as confrontational as I was feeling at that moment, I just couldn't bring myself to shout across the crowd.

As much as I hate to admit it, the incident spoiled the evening for me. I went home with very mixed emotions. Part of me was thinking "I'm so big and useless, I just always seem to be in the way no matter what I do." But the more rational side of me was angry. Angry that the man had been so rude, angry that I didn't have the opportunity to say anything to him, and angry that I have to face these idiotic challenges when I'm just trying to do something as simple as going to a movie. What should I have done? What could I have done? If anyone from the disabled community is reading this, I'd love your input. Have you ever been faced with something similar? How did you handle it?

I still go to movies, and nothing like this has happened since. But I still cringe, just a little, whenever I see someone heading towards me in a darkened theatre.

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing you could have or should have done differently. You were well marked. He is a bully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use a wheelchair, but I've heard enough stories from people who do to have learned by now that, unfortunately, there seem to be people out there who have a knee jerk tendency to immediately blame the disabled person for "being in the way" when, er, no, actually they wouldn't have bumped into them (or whatever it is they're upset about) if they had been paying attention more carefully themselves, and not operating on the assumption that all other people are necessarily going to be at their eye level.

    It's not you. It's him. He was being a jerk. And, unfortunately, like many jerks, he can't even SEE what a jerk he is. Even without the reflective tape, unless he had night vision problems or something (in which case he should have known better to be extra careful), surely he can't have missed that somebody was sitting there even if he couldn't really see much detail (it's not THAT dark in a theatre ... surely there was a little light flickering from the screen, yes?). He ran into you through his own carelessness. And apparently he likes blaming other people for things that are actually his own fault.

    I don't blame you for being upset, though. I probably would have been too.

    I came here via your comment at "Rolling through my head" (I keep wanting to call it "chewing the fat," I'm still getting used to the new name!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, Liz and Andrea! And thanks for your kind comments - it's nice to know it's not 'just me'. And you're right about Dave's blog, Andrea. While I DO like the new name, it will forever be CTF in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how rude some people are. Hope next time he recklessly bumps into something - he DOES turn into a soprano!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brenda, thanks for the comment you left on my blog. That man was in idiot, and it's too bad he got to ruin your night. Lucky for me (and my son) I've got a very fast reaction factor when dealing with idiots, well actually my big mouth has gotten me into troublesome situations but when dealing with loser idiots like the one you met that night, well usually they shut the f*@k up and move on along.

    As for your comment about WT on my blog, I no longer use WT. I only really tried to use it when my son was in therapy every week when he was ages 2-4. Other than that it's been for family outings and a few doctor appointments. Now that my kids are older (15 and 13) I have no worries about them getting to places on their own steam as well as being left behind.
    I think WT mind set is different when dealing with a disabled person vs. a parent of a disabled person.

    I have some doctor appointments coming up so maybe I'll try out the online booking. They don't even mail me regular updates about their new procedures etc. unless I call and ask for them. I'm always overlooked.

    ReplyDelete